The (Undeserved) Reputation of the American (Pit) Bull Terrier


Now, I know what you’re thinking, you read the title and you already have your mind made up about what your thoughts are on the aforementioned animal…let me stop you right there.

I would be lying to you if I said I didn’t have some reservation when my 29-year-old son, Justin, told me that he was getting a new dog…an “American Blue-nosed (Pit) Bull Terrier”. My thoughts immediately raced to the bad publicity that these animals have been subjected to over the last eighteen months. My son sent me pictures periodically and my skepticism was put at ease for a short time. Several weeks (and several photos e-mailed to me) later, I went to visit the member of my son’s new family, the Bull Terrier name “Zeke”. All of the bad media that I remembered about these dogs left my mind immediately. Justin taught this animal to sit, shake and stay within a matter of months!! Sure, the puppy was still a puppy and had its little quirks here and there but that is to be expected. This was indeed a great-looking, well-behaved dog

To assist in the proper upbringing of this animal, I bought my son a book in hopes that he would bring his new “son” up appropriately, the book…”Pitbulls for Dummies” of course!! So far, things are going well for Zeke and he is learning very quickly what is and isn’t acceptable as a puppy. One of the most important lessons in life, as well as raising your pet, happens to be that old cliché everyone has heard thousands of times “Never judge a book by its cover”, My son didn’t, and now he has a fantastic addition to his life…that happens to be a Pit bull terrier named Zeke!!

2 comments:

Kathryn Neff Perry said...

I know what you mean about stereotypical view points about Pit bulls and Rottweilers. In all my years of owning both breeds, I can honestly say I never had one problem with aggression. Not from the dogs anyway, but maybe from the owner, me. People typically turn up their noses when you mention either breed. It's not the dog, it's the owner, and the way the dogs are raised. I love Rottweilers, so much so that my Boone's Creek series is all about Jenna Lewis and her faithful search and rescue dog Nikko.
Loved this post Carolyn!

Crittersister said...

Thanks Kitt!

Post a Comment