Be Kind to Animals


My mom, Alice, with her cat Deanie and dog Bobbi
Be kind to animals! Everyone knows that, right? Most all people I know are kind and compassionate and want what’s best for an animal or pet. However, many don’t give a second thought to abandoning a pet or giving it to anyone who will take it off their hands. Be sure the person really wants a pet and is willing to go the extra mile for it. It’s quite a responsibility and should not be taken lightly.

The love of animals in our family I am sure is no different than many other families growing up in the 50’s. I remember our first family dog just vaguely. It was a Cocker Spaniel named Dusty. I don’t remember her too well, but Dusty was an adorable dog that  was especially close to my sister. When Dusty died, our family got another Cocker Spaniel, Duchess. Duchess is the one dog that I bonded with and I remember her as my best friend. That’s the way it should be, right? Of course, animal lovers know this. But, what about others who may not have grown up with a pet?
Duchess and Me
If they never experience the bond of a pet, how sad that is.
 
A friend from facebook posted this the other day: "I would like to apologize to Shelly H., and Carolyn Hayes... I have had a pet dog for over a year. Did not think I could care about an animal the way I do. My ex would not let us have one. What a mistake on my part. So to these ladies...I truly apologize. Hope you forgive me.” I couldn’t think why he was apologizing to me or Shelly. He said I must had forgotten about our argument. Argument? Evidently, we were ‘discussing’ how pets give us unconditional love and he argued that pets were just animals and should not be treated as an equal to a person. Well, maybe they shouldn’t be treated as an equal, but pretty much! I had to laugh! Now he realizes what we were trying to explain, just love this story!
 
Our society is so different now than when I was growing up. I recall our Duchess was free to roam our neighborhood (she’d never wander far) and everyone knew where she belonged. She would follow me to school and go back home on her own without getting lost or bothered by anyone. She even knew to look both ways when crossing the street! Amazing! Oh, my, those were the days! Now, dogs are micro-chipped, kidnapped, and endangered, just like our children today. It’s not a kind and safe world!

All of our Pets Uniting People Society board members are great animal lovers and that is shown everyday in their lives. We want everyone to look at a pet the way we do, but, unfortunately, they don’t. That’s why there are rescues and sanctuaries for pets that some people no longer want. It’s true that circumstances arise in our lives where we cannot care for a beloved pet anymore. When this happens, please seek out a caring rescue or a person who is willing to help in locating a home for your pet, work on this together. Give your precious pet every opportunity to enjoy the rest of its life even if it is without you. They deserve that!

Our Boojee
My husband and I are both pet lovers. However, when we lost our precious Booger several years ago, we knew that we wouldn’t have another dog, but we needed a pet in our lives. Just one, that’s all. One is all we can afford and care for properly. We both made this decision together. About three years after we lost Booger, we decided upon a young cat that we named Boojee. She’s everything we wanted in a pet, and more! Perfect!

My message is this. One I’ve repeated before. So, here’s the thing…to say, “Be Kind to Animals” is like telling my husband “be nice and bring me roses!” If you have to tell someone to do it, the mindset is just not there! Here is a picture depicting this message. And, there is another reason why I love this picture. I love this picture because it is of my mother when she was a child. It shows to me that she loved animals too. My artist friend Ann (http://www.maggierossdogs.com) placed the add-on “Be Kind to Animals” onto the picture. I thought… oh, how perfect it is! 

Although our “perfect” world is yet to come because, then, there will be no need for pet protection groups such as ours. There will be no need for “education, awareness, and responsibility in animal welfare”. Until that day, we have God’s word to live by. Even though many are not listening, God mandates us to be kind to animals. “All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives. It corrects us when we are wrong and teaches us to do what is right.” (2 Timothy 3:16 NLT) We are to be good stewards of what God gives us and “reign over the fish in the sea, the birds in the sky, and all the animals that scurry along the ground”. (Genesis 1:28 NLT)

Also, the Bible says: “A righteous man regards the life of his animal.” (Proverbs 12:10) Scripture is given to us to live out our lives and bring honor and glory to God. We cannot live by one verse alone, must take the Bible in its entirety.

I am pleased that I can help Pets Uniting People Society in the ways that I do. Once this 501c3 designation was a Christian publication titled: “Family Journal Magazine”. It was during those years that my relationship with the Lord began. Oftentimes, I find myself wandering off His path and into how the world sees life. I cannot do this anymore. It’s His way or no way.

So, please think twice before obtaining a pet and always think and be kind to animals (and people)! It’s the only way to be in life!

My reflection: Be kind to animals 
Another old "Be Kind to Animals" 









 

0 comments:

Post a Comment